Easter Greetings and Blessings

When I was little, my sisters and I always got a new bonnet, dress, and sometimes new white gloves or a small handbag for Easter. It was tradition. It was a spring ritual. It was the fashion etiquette for all baby boomer girls. And nearly every little girl I grew up with, enjoyed that same springtime rite. It was something to look forward to every year, just like “Back to School” clothes in the autumn.

By the the time I reached middle school, however, those de rigueur Easter bonnets and white gloves for girls, fell out of fashion. In 1969, tweens and teens wouldn’t be caught dead in them! A new dress was still desirable, however. I have a photo of myself, standing with my grandmother on her front lawn, while wearing a now cringeworthy, “Marcia Brady” style, robin’s egg blue dress and shoes. They were very much in vogue at the time and I remember happily picking them out at the mall, excitedly looking forward to Easter vacation with my grandparents in Los Angeles.

 Though I no longer get a new Easter bonnet every year, Easter is still one of my favorite holidays. Maybe it is the religious roots that were planted and took hold as I grew up. Or, possibly, it’s the new life and birth of spring, with the bunnies, chicks and lambs. After all, both my son and daughter were born in the spring, and every few years my daughter’s birthday lands on Easter weekend. 

It could be that all of the family tries to get together, like with Christmas, but without all of the stress, anxiety or depression. Mostly, I think it’s that I so fondly remember spending the “Easter vacation” of many school years at my grandmother’s and grandfather’s home. (It wasn’t called “spring break” back then) It was the one week a year I could play “only child” and I made the best of it. The weather was always pretty nice, too, so that was a bonus. 

Looking at it now, I’m thankful to have all of my siblings. Two of us, along with our spouses attended a cousin’s wedding yesterday. As Cliff and I drove home, it dawned on me what a blessing it is that all of my siblings are still living, as are both of my parents. Our cousin hasn’t been as fortunate as my brother and me. Both of his siblings and both of his parents are all deceased. His mother was the most recent to pass away. My older brother and I were the closest thing to siblings he had in attendance. But, our cousin is certainly blessed as well. His new bride made it a point to tell us (twice) that they would be coming to visit soon, and she hoped we’d get together often, as she believes family is important. She’s right. And I couldn’t be happier for them. Easter blessings, indeed!

A Baby Boomer Easter – Me, in my new Easter bonnet, holding my basket, with three of my four siblings, along with our mother on Easter Sunday, circa 1960.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

“What Have We Here?” is Here!

What Have We Here? The Etiquette and Essentials of Lives Once Lived, from the Georgian Era through the Gilded Age and Beyond.. . I have spok...